Sunday, December 30, 2007

Another Year goes, Another Year comes...

Indeed, without books where then is my sanity. Presenting my top 10 read for 2007...

1) 张爱玲的“色,戒” (For a long time, I couldn't get the character 王佳芝 off my mind. A huge emptiness was left behind.)
2) Where Angels Fear to Tread by E. M. Forster (This Englishman, he was totally charming!)
3) Waiting by Ha Jin (No wonder there are always talks swaying about how good this novel is.)
4) On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan (Mark my words: He will win the Nobel one of these days.)
5) Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse (You know, I think Singaporeans should read more of his work.)
6) Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx (Annie Proulx's sublime writing is so under-rated.)
7) The Sandman's Series (graphic novel) by Neil Gaiman (See here and here. Enough said.)
8) A Passage to India by E. M. Forster (this is Mr Forster at his cunning best)
9) First Snow on Fuji by Yasunari Kawabata (I was in love, all over again...I think my admiration for Kawabata has become legendary.)
10) Strangers by Taichi Yamada (Now, I'm in a fix here. To recommend or not to recommend - that's the question, considering my ego.)

Here is wishing all a very happy New Year, and hopefully, many more years of books and sanity.

3 comments:

(T) (H) (B) said...

Happy New Year!

Maybe cos u read that story not long ago that's y left a deeper impression..

Anonymous said...

i think its getting close to midnight for you, so happy happy new year!!

mrdes said...

Hi HB,

Perhaps also because I read different interpretations of the character/books/movie from the internet. Happy New Year to you!

Hi d,

Happy New Year to you!