Sunday, April 15, 2007

Annie Proulx's Brokeback Mountain

It was back to Brokeback. From the big screen to the short story, I was enthralled, as the subtle beauty in the love, sadness and longing between two humans remained untainted. Even that sounds understated.

Annie Proulx intrigues me as an American writer who writes in what I call a subdued style. Though, I have to admit at times, the cowboy-grown-up-in-range's accent had me at my will's end. For example, the constant replacement of "of" with "a". Still, the humanity shines through. Their affair in the mountain short-lived, but for eternity, locked in Ennis's memories and dreams. The too few, far-in-between unions, his refusal to live on Jack's terms against social disapproval, and the subsequent struggle to accept Jack's death, all form a deep regret in ignoring his heart's intent. Yet, only a brave fool would follow love's path till the end, and let others mock in disgust.

3 comments:

(T) (H) (B) said...

as long as both in love can liao? only possible when both parties are independent bah...

Anonymous said...

i haven't seen the movie yet... keep meaning to rent it. would you recommend reading the book first? so many movies/books and so little time! ;)

mrdes said...

Hi d, I think it's okay to go ahead and watch the movie first:)