Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Oops!...I did it again!

mrdes is a bad, bad boy: he sees, he takes. Firstly, there was a make-shift stall outside Jurong Entertainment Centre selling second-hand books from big bookstores like Kinokuniya. Imagine that! Like honey and bees, or flame and moths - whatever that means - the spread of books seemed to be gleaming from the dusty wooden carts.

You won't believe what I can get at $2.00: Ha Jin's Waiting among other titles like Tuesdays with Morrie and The God of Small Things. A petite lass was just ahead of me, fortunately or unfortunately, for she had The Gods of Small Things in her hand and was eyeing Waiting when I turned up to snatch it away under her nose, literally. Such satisfaction! But she was sporting enough to share her surprise at the quality of the books available, including my catch, of course. All the time, I had my eyes on The God of Small Things held close to her chest. To disperse her awkwardness - yes, I was staring that hard - I returned her compliment, quipping that hers was a good novel too. I loved her smile then, when she ended the casual exchange with a quirky "see you around"; which actually also left me speechless, as I could only offer a wan grin.

Yup, if you are the gal with that sunshine-like smile reading this, my apology for staring at your chest - er, I mean your book. But seriously, you have a most beautiful smile.

So that is how I did it again, in more than one way...

Actually, I've been less than honest: I've reserved Yakuza Moon from the library. But I'm 71 in the queue! It's terribly hot! Then again, the library has only 4 copies of it, unlike this. It may then be months before I get my hands on it.

Alright, alright, I've been much less than frank: I've also borrowed Be With You by Takuji Ichikawa, brand new from the library. Well, some guys have all the luck, don't you think. And it's about time too!

Okay, okay, no more lying: I'm actually half-way through a library loan, which is Elie Wiesel's Night. And I'm staying the course, somehow. It's a fiction - or is it non-fiction? - about the Holocaust after all.

So, like what Wiesel once proclaimed: "Thou shalt not stand idly by", I would have to be reading while standing!

FYI, what Wiesel actually meant was: when such things are happening, one must act. Wah Lau! "FYI" is so "civil-servantish", don't you think.

PS: I was searching the net for "Wah Lau" when this turned up. Haha...hope he will never have to come to Singapore if he hasn't yet.

Much, much later: My sincere apology, it should be "Walau!" instead of "Wah Lau!" Wah Lau!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm.. the 'see you around' is actually code. but for what i don't know.

mrdes said...

hmmm...It's amazing that you can deduce that - feminine intuition? heehee...