Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Must-Read List; I've been a Bad Boy

So I'm back again. I wish I can write more often, seriously. A lot of things is happening, especially at work. Sometimes, I would be composing an blog entry in my mind, stringing words together, like this morning as I laid in bed, awake behind closed eyes.

It occurred to me some times ago to have a book list, or a must-read list. I've been less than disciplined with my reading, you see. To wit, I've piles of unread fiction sitting at my shelf - mostly bought with kinokuniya book vouchers - while I keep borrowing read from the library. mrdes is a bad boy in that sense. So I've returned all my books and come out with this:

1) Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (current read; I'm sure a lot of things were missed out when I read it 2 years back.)
2) The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje (the first few chapters were so good, but for some reason I've forgotten, it was put away)
3) Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima (The few chapters were so beautiful that I read it again and again. If you want a better idea of what I think is good fiction, this is the one to begin.)
4) Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami ( a Christmas gift from my sweet colleague who knows about my preference for Japanese authors; the first chapter looked interesting enough, then again...)
5) My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk (The first chapter was absolutely intriguing. That is why he is a Nobel prize winner!)
6) The Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho (What a shame! This is something that I simply give up queuing for at the library, yet never even started.)
7) The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (I thought it was too romantic, too sentimental for me at one point. Still, I'm pretty sure it is well written, having finished the first chapter...)
8) The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney (I thought the first few pages were simply amazing! But I guess I was too caught up with other read, and I had Popular Bookstore's vouchers to spare at that time.)
9) The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai (Again, I waited and waited for it at the library...winner of the Man Booker prize 2006. The first few pages read like Harper Lee's To kill a Mockingbird)
10) The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse (I told myself that I have to get this before it goes out of print, or if ever Kinokuniya goes bust. Although, now I'm sure either won't happen, at least not in my lifetime. You know, the only other place I've seen this was at Page One Bookstore located at Vivocity. First read part of it from the library.)

These books are simply treasures of the highest order, most of them are legacies in their own right, especially those by Hermann Hesse, Michael Ondaatje and Yukio Mishima, of course. Without them, the world would be more a impoverished place - spirtually, or otherwise.

Alright, I better stop before I feel even more guilty. Perhaps I should start my own little library...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
I'm also a big Paulo Coelho fan and I don't know if you’ve heard about his blog
http://www.paulocoelhoblog.com
I've started as a fan and now I'm collaborating with him and thought that you would like to enter his universe.
Check the blog, if you want, or subscribe to his newsletter
http://www.warriorofthelight.com/engl/index.html

You'll see a community of warriors of light sharing ideas, dreams and most importantly following their personal legend.
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"He who loves
has conquered the world
and has no fear of losing anything.
True love is an act of total surrender."

See you there and have a great day!
Aart