Saturday, March 03, 2007

Train Man

Simply put, Train Man by Nakano Hitori is a fairy tale of the internet generation. I wouldn't call it inspirational, uplifting sounds more apt. What is unique about the novel is that it doesn't really run in the form of extended text. Rather, the story unfolds with exchanges on a message board documenting the life-changing 2 months of a geeky techie.

With the netizens posting their support, Train Man, as our "prince" is named on the net, metamorphoses - in dress sense and manner - into a "Romeo" of the highest order, with sincerity touching the very soul of her love interest Hermes. The messages can get cheesy or crappy to downright depressing, but I found myself drawn into a fight of the underdog, cheering him on, wishing things would turn up well in the courtship. Although at times, I kind of felt like giving him a tight slap, I could see shade of Train Man in myself and the people I know, which really makes me wonder: what is actually holding us back in the face of love?

2 comments:

Whiskoffee said...

I feel the same after reading the novel... Love it to the end...

Whiskoffee said...

Makes me wonder if the relationships I thought impossible were actually possible...