Wednesday, January 10, 2007

On Flaring Up/The Chronicle of a Bootlicker

On flaring up...

It never pays to flare up in an office. No matter the buckets of justifications you may pile on the perpetrator, you will still be on the losing end - full stop. You may even land yourselves in the bottom of a stinky pit, especially if the tussle is work-related, getting your hands all dirty while the pretentious, seemingly-innocent scoundrel gets off scot-free - not a dust on his sleeve. Such atrocity!

Now, I have seemed committed employees getting all worked up against biased bosses, eventually leaving for the so-called need of a change. What's the point? I ask.

The Chronicle of a Bootlicker...

People don't brand me a bootlicker behind my back without substantiations. But I can't disagree more with their perspective. All I have ever done is read my boss's intentions in her every decision. If I find it reasonable and agreeable, I would act accordingly, flawlessly - or at least attempt to. Otherwise, if she couldn't accede to my counter proposal, she will know then that I am not the man for that particular job. Of course, at times, you still have to grit your teeth through however reluctantly. Unless there are always others where you will find your niches, it is perhaps right to switch career altogether. No direct confrontation, or criticism of your boss's method is needed; it is, without doubt, still her team, her department.

There is still this lingering notion, I suspect among the Chinese, that plain willingness to work hard takes absolute importance over everything else as a prized attribute. Having a glib of the tongue can't be sinful if only, you use it coupled with your true potential. Moreover, a diligent boss can smell the furry tail of a crafty fox a thousand miles away if you know what I mean. The fact is we have to work smart and to our strengths (much clichéd, but most apt).

No comments: