Friday, July 20, 2012

Random Talk

Now, is he back tracking, no?

Saw him a stone's throw from Queenstown Stadium this evening, with a lady on a park bench, but what saddened me was the white stick, lit between lips, burning stamina. Personally, I think a professional footballer should breathe like a professional footballer - both on field and off field. Still, look forward to him turning up for Tampines Rovers.

On my reading front. Finally, I started reading Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale". Margaret's wit is knife-sharp, and the story addictive. And I read some of Tomas Transtromer's poems from "The Deleted World"; he is amazing, I think:

A Winter Night (excerpt)

The storm puts its mouth to the house
and blows to get a tone.
I toss and turn, my closed eyes
reading the storm's text.

The child's eyes grow wide in the dark
and the storm howls for him.
Both love the swinging lamps;
both are halfway towards speech.

-----------

Which brings me to "The Amazing Spider-man". I still can't believe that I wasted my dough and precious time on it. Amazingly, it is a hybrid of a teenage flick (think "Twilight", but more empty-headed) and a B-grade horror movie (no, this is nothing like Gozillia) sold as an intelligent re-make. Perhaps it was the timing, having watched it after eights days of great films from the Japanese Film Festival: off the top of my head, "Under the Pink Sky", "Chronicle of My Mother" and "I Wish" were all excellent and poignant.

I found an exciting new running route from Queenstown Stadium to Labrador Nature & Coastal Walk, continuing to Keppel Island before ending at Mount Faber. And my new love: nature walk, from Bukit Timah Nature Park to MacRitchie Reservoir.

Not much writing lately really - all of four lines.

lean against time
comfort, not feeling
the world turn
on its heel.

---------------

Other scraps of poetry, mostly written on bus journeys...

How does one write
With heart? You see
The sparrows of Spring
Flap across the ocean
Of your page? You hear
The sun rises over
Your shoulders? Or the
God of words comes visit
To bark down at
The sound of your sighs?
---

Tell me what
Do you keep in
Sight? You always
Answer, the road
Ahead, the road
Ahead. But, why,
Why are you looking
Back, looking back?
---

No comments: