Sunday, June 26, 2011

Conviction

Your voice rides
the raucous beat of my heart
made all the more necessary
by the sudden desire
to remember how we are
together apart.

But we are done
here, you say, calm
amid chaos waves,
feel the hardened
conviction slip between
the lips.

P.S.: After watching "Revolutionary Road" on DVD.

The movie, based on a novel by Richard Yates, has some of the best narratives:

April Wheeler: So now I'm crazy because I don't love you, right? Is that the point?

Frank Wheeler: No! Wrong! You're not crazy, and you do love me. That's the point, April.

April Wheeler: But I don't. I hate you. You were just some boy who made me laugh at a party once, and now I loathe the sight of you. In fact, if you come any closer, if you touch me or anything, I think I'll scream.

Frank Wheeler: Frank: Oh, come on, stop this April.
[He touches her for an instant and she screams at the top of her lungs before walking away. He chases after her]

Frank Wheeler: Fuck you, April! Fuck you and all your hateful, goddamn -
[He breaks a chair against a wall]

April Wheeler: What are you going to do now? Are you going to hit me? To show me how much you love me?

Frank Wheeler: Don't worry, I can't be bothered! You're not worth the trouble it would take to hit you! You're not worth the powder it would take to blow you up. You are an empty, empty, hollow shell of a woman. I mean, what the hell are you doing in my house if you hate me so much? Why the hell are you married to me? What the hell are you doing carrying my child? I mean, why didn't you just get rid of it when you had the chance? Because listen to me, listen to me, I got news for you - I wish to God that you had!

Kate Winslet is April Wheeler, and Leonardo DiCaprio is Frank Wheeler.

Last words: Love, being human emotion, has no rationale, really.

No comments: