Saturday, October 25, 2008

Titbit, Caution.

Oh man, no more Khong Guan and Julie's biscuit for me. Unless, of course, one beckons a slow death. Being a cheapskate, I used to scoop around the office pantry for titbits bought at company's expense, and unlike some of my colleagues, I don't keep months-worth of dry rations in my drawers. Now, "Khong Guan Assorted Biscuits" and "Julie's Peanut Butter Biscuits" are but some of my between-meals "delicacies" - yes, they are delicacies for someone of my earning power. At this point, in case you are wondering why I am writing this, it is because, and I am not just being cautious, if anything will to happen to me (*touch wood*), you, the readers, will know the specific cause of my sudden failing to function as a human being or a blogger, that is, be it physically or mentally (who knows what other side-effect excess consumption of melamine has!). Of course, other than the other most unfortunate of incidents like stepping out of my flat only to have a brick or flower pot from heaven slammed atop my new crew-cut. Oh, now that I mentioned it, I have to say I really hate my new crew-cut. Really, truly...and no, please, don't try to console me with its economic viability.

On another note, I was suddenly infused with a fascination for the word "titbit". Especially after having read that in poetry-writing, new words are created by joining two together. As in this case, there are two words "tit" and "bit", so having a tiny bit of snack is like "biting tit" (that is, a woman's breast.)? Or hearing "a small piece of news or interesting information" is as stimulating as such? Then, I thought, such sexism! Just because women love to gossip, therefore the collective noun in "titbits of gossip"? Now, who is the sexist here?

However, I was much disappointed when I found this: "Interestingly, although "tidbit" is rooted in the dialects of England, the variant form "titbit" is more commonly heard in Britain today and "tidbit" is largely restricted to the U.S. The "tit" in "titbit" apparently arose by analogy to such words as "titmouse" (a small bird), where "tit" is a very old term for a small animal or object."

Now, who say ignorance is bliss? Hands up!

No comments: