Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Movie Day - Sunday

At times, I wish for more time to blog.

Sunday...

Class in the afternoon, but not before presenting myself at Shaw House, Orchard, for my first film of The 2oth Singapore International Film Festival: Little Heart Songs, an anime from the land of the rising sun. It was difficult to get a ticket as evidenced by my side-seat. As the credits rolled at the end, all was silent, noone was going. Heart-wrenching tale it was, as a guy described in the gent later how a girl next to him was crying her heart out. It was sentimental and nostalgic as one was reminded of his or her innocent childhood. Perhaps the secret lies there in the songs we sing as children.

After class, destination: The Central Library where figures cramming resumed. Hit the road at about 2030 hrs, destination: National Museum Gallery Theatre (I never knew they have one). Second film: The Other Half, by an independent film maker from China, which is one of the winners of the Silver Screen Award. Experimental, refreshing, at times totally bizarre, but never a dull moment. A story about love, changes, and politics perhaps, with the rapidly expanding economy of China as a backdrop. One of the numerous interviewees in the film, a housewife, approaches a law firm to sue a hospital for blundering her husband's operation, resulting in a sexless marriage; she claims to suffer mentally and physically. A dig at the state's bureacracy in a wife-abusing army officer; the bruised woman fears for her life at a word of divorce. The strange but real reasons for divorces, as the list goes on...

I have a date with the The Phantom on 8 May 2007. I can hardly wait...

PS: It suddenly occurs to me that the first film I ever watch at the festival is Ghost in a Shell 2: Innocence - a Japanese anime about identity and more. I know, I have become such a Jap freak...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks dude. it is a bit discencerning because i have always known where i was headed before. now, don't know and no plans or goals. its odd :P

take care!!

(T) (H) (B) said...

I want watch Phantom leh.