Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Adventure of IT Moron - A Wireless Ambition

Some people are born with green hands (they will tell you to talk to plants), some with a immaculate rationality (no, there must be another reason why the chicken cross the road...), others with superhuman memory (these are mostly women I realised, like my mum). Pardon my digression, I was trying to emphasise how some are gifted in certain arena, while some are not. And I'm but a IT moron, which is far, far from a misnomer...

We, Ray and I, spent the better part of last evening labouring to link the dusty, less than trusty laptop and modem to my newly-bought router (aye, you heard me right, it is a router). Ray was the master, I, the humble apprentice. I had ceremoniously warned him on the bus ride to my house that he would very likely vomit blood (loosely translated from hokkien, meaning one got fed out). Apart from ultimately failing to wire up my house, I learnt about running regular check and maintenance on my laptop, that, most probably, Linksys product only works with its own (my own conclusion) and that, most importantly, Ray was a true friend to the end.

Then my brother-in-law came to the rescue, or so I thought. But the problem persisted, though, admirably he resisted. The night ended at eleven plus, the gush of relief palpable. Even though things did not improve. So I'm back to sticking a thick cable from the modem to my laptop, immobilising it. So much for my wireless ambition...

No comments: