Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hidden Faces: The Art of Japanese Masks


Sometimes, I feel blessed to live in Singapore; we are pretty open to foreigners and their cultures you see. The result: An exhibition on the history and culture of Japanese masks and Noh drama in our own backyard. I have been bitten by the Japanese culture bug since indulging in their literature, especially that of Mr Kawabata. A Noh mask symbolising eternal youth in The Sound of the Mountain extricates the tears embedded in Kikuko’s heart, lifts her veil of social constraints to express her wish to stay with Shingo, her father-in-law. I am planning for a trip to the museum these few weeks, but not before I enrich my knowledge via the net to appreciate it more.

1 comment:

d said...

I am going to check out Mr. Kawabata at some point soon. :)