Sunday, August 06, 2006

Random Rambling - What else?

If only all my Sundays could be spent so lovingly. The library is a fine place to spend a few tranquil hours scaling literature greats. This time my host was another Japanese master storyteller, Yukio Mishima. I am not too sure his novel, The Sailor who fell from grace with the sea, suits my taste though. His April Snow impresses with its opening fragmented memories of the Russo-Japanese War. I know I am spoiled for choice. In truth, I don't know much about any Japanese wars, other than the Japanese occupation of our land. Then again, war themes aren't on the minds of Japanese novelists.

The swimming pool was not crowded at two plus. Other than the miserly few in the water, a couple was sunbathing by the poolside. The sun dazzled in the blue ripples, and the cement ground felt like hot pans under my bare soles.

Exercising had been a rare commodity these past weeks. Surprisingly, I felt strong. But that was before fatigue kicked in at about the fourth lap as my arms and legs grew heavy like lead, and my heart raced to keep up with my strokes.

Trotting home at about eight in the evening, there was a documentary Singapore History on CNA. What intrigues me is that our neighbour up north has changed its name from “Malaya” to “Malaysia” when Singapore was one of the states. So does this mean that they still treat us as part of them? Another interesting, noteworthy point is that LKY won his first election only after jailing the Mandarin-speaking leftists as so-called communist. So the Lee clan’s instances of taking legal actions against their political opponents started from the very beginning. History does repeat itself.

Come to think of it, the fact the leftists are Chinese-educated seems to explain the oppression of the language in our education system. As in my opinion, my beautiful mother tongue can only be fully appreciated if taught together with its history (more specifically that of China), which would inevitably involve the subject of communism. Till this day, I still lament the lack of opportunity to learn the language in all its depth and beauty during my school days, and in turn, envy the Chinese-ed colleagues at my office. One of these days, I will attempt to elaborate on this.

No comments: