Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Gratitude - A 10 Minutes Challenge

The 10 minutes challenge*:

"Gratitude is the sign of noble soul"- Aesop

One by one, the sparrows on the thin branches of the pine tree flew off. The first one flagged its wings, glanced at me with its raisin-like black eyes for a moment through the window before lifting off as if on cue. Then the rest followed.

Outside the window, some small kids were playing at the sandpit, building sandcastles and the like, while I built my in the navy clear sky. My fingers rested on the keyboard, cursor blinking like my mind-eyes - without words. My morning steamy coffee stood untouched beside my left hand. The morning paper lay next to it; the headline had my attention for once, citing raising public transport fares. Everything seems fine and dandy, but nobody really cares about the price paid.

The secretary came in; a glowing smile plastered on heavily powdered face. Her curly fringes failed to hide the huge earrings - porcelain-white rings - dangling at her beautifully shaped earlobes. She must have enjoyed her holidays away in Greece with her boyfriend - or was it her girlie friends? And how did she manage to keep herself so fresh after just touching down at mid-night?

"Hi, you're back! How are you feeling? Nice holidays?" I asked, almost absently, looking down at the document waiting for my signature simultaneously. Her curly dark red lips - all ready for a clubbing night - widened even more, but no words uttered. One wondered how could a secretary as reserved as Karen performed her duties to a nicety, how she managed to know every details of his boss's like and dislike. Never for once had she started a negative ripple in my daily emotional outlook. Well, there was once, but it was hardly even trivial.

Returning to my work, she hardly allowed a sound leaving and closing the door behind. Quietude settled, enveloping the intermittent clicking that my fingers produced almost musically. The name "Karen" inserted as recipient of the short email being written:

Hi Karen,

I just like to express my appreciation for all the quiet effort that you have put in each day to ensure everything is in order. Your absence had made me realised how things seem to run smoothly with you around. I have to say I can't ask for more from a secretary like you. And for that, I thank you.

Regards
George


*To write a short story within 10 minutes

The moral of the story: Take leaves so your boss will appreciate your presence. *Haha*. Okay, seriously, one of my colleague is on leave today and the whole office was turned upside down. Boss, you better pray she is coming back soon...

No comments: