Sunday, April 23, 2006

Confessions of A Grumbling Singaporean - Part I

Not that I am complaining or anything. But this world is really coming to a head. But where should one start? Perhaps with the predictably hot topic of the election? No, I am not talking about the stylish Hong Kong gangster flick here. First, the garment invited a group of youngsters - oh, such poor victims of convenience - in an open, no-holds-barred exchange (or was it?) on TV. They, being responsible, sensible sons and daughters of our land, did the unthinkable - at least to the older generations - biting the hands that feed them: namely that of LKY, who else. Too bad, I had to miss the "great show" due to other engagement. I am not the political savvy type of Singaporean, I have to say. Some colleagues even branded me politically "naive". But the whole controversy stinks of political leverage in my opinion; a plot to claim perception of "fairness" and "above board" in the public eyes. And the young was made to sacrifice, sent to the slaughter house for a splendid feast - the election - amid patting of backs among the campaign runners for a "clean" job done.

On another front, for similar reason, TT Durai was charged for "cheating" NKF. How timely, how convenient, don't you think? We all know it is going to be an election issue, but the ruling party has played it to its advantage so far. Poor Durai! - Not that I feel he deserves any more sympathy.

You know what? All that I have written in this entry, if you care to read between the lines, seems to suggest a Singaporean who typically likes to complain about everything, quite the contrary to my initial denial. The fact is we are living in a safe, prosperous, developing country. Compared with war-torn countries like Iraq or some Indonesia islands hit by Tsumuni - so corrupted was the contractors and the so-called charity organisations, that slum for the homeless stand on four wooden sticks sloppily pushed into the ground - we should be ever thankful. I should start counting my blessings: 1, 2, 3,4...The country can continue being a one-party nation for all I care (ok, ok, I withdraw this last bit).

Afterthoughts: There is no progress without sacrifice. For this reason, the group of youngsters has earned my utmost respect with all my sincerity for their contribution to the building of a relatively young nation. In the process, they may become better thinking adults. That excludes "TT", of course, aka "Thambirajah Tharmadurai" which means a charitable man in Tamil. Boy, had I enjoyed this.

A preview for coming posting: A first class, state-of-the-art facility with second class citizen (subject may change according to mood).

No comments: