Thursday, January 19, 2006

Doctors At Work

It's an annual thing - the performance evaluation - but for the past 3 years, we had met with 3 different managers and settings. This year's was exceptional. Hitler's Young was in rein, and she pulled in her executives to scrutinise us.

I knocked before entering the pantry - the interview room was taken by the big boss - to face a penal board of some sort, comprising of three lovely ladies laughing in union as I joked that it was like visiting my doctor. The amazing thing is, sometimes a casual remark used to relieve tension can become reality.

So we talked, or really chatted, at times seriously in a low solemn tone, mostly jovially, unrestrainedly. I just can't help being truthful around such amiable, feminine company. They really have a way with a guy like me. They were attractive, captivating with their words, their thoughts. I felt reborn, young again. I have forgotten when I had giggled so much, like a college boy in a 15 mins spell. They were deceiving, teasing and luring me out of my shell. So I had to twist and turn out of danger, fabricating complete truth and putting up a false front. It became a mind game. At the end, I don't think I let much out, but all seems even without a clear victor. So much for an evaluation. I was on cloud nine and ready to face my day at work. I gratefully expressed my thanks to the 3 lovely doctors.

PS: On a more serious note, in a performance evaluation, your performance is talked about, things for improvement are recommended, and quoting Hitler's Young, we are to be the "mirrors for how the management (namely the 3 doctors) is faring"

No comments: