Saturday, November 19, 2005

Age is not only a Figure

I kind of miss blogging. My life seems...lifeless - what else. I guess that coincides with what some people feel when they stop blogging. My weekdays were spent on my work, studies and plenty of sleep due to my cough medicine. That is, except for almost the whole Friday's afternoon when my office's family day was held. We were supposed to have fun learning Archery. And have fun I did. I don't know about my colleagues though. Some of them may be thinking they are too old for that stuff. I don't blame them for thinking so, although, I still think that in almost everything, age is not a problem. That is, except in love. I have my fair share of chance meetings with romantic notions. And a couple of them had ended with the other party taking flight upon knowing that dreadful figure. Not that I am complaining, I would probably do the same if I am a member of the fairer sex.

Seriously, what is in the two digit? Well, for one, it is the nearest thing to an EPS ratio - that is, the Earnings per Share ratio. The ratio, being an accounting jargon, indicates the growth potential of an enterprise, which is of interest to most users, especially to the investors in shares hoping to cash in on a good buy. So like a company's share in the financial market, I am like any guy, being assessed by the investors, that is the ladies. On the surface, a high EPS ratio looks attractive, as the shareholder will have a good, constant return. But ladies looking for a quick buck take heed. In order to maximise your investment in the shortest time possible, go for shares with low EPS ratio. For they are the newbie, the so-called new kids on the block, thus its resources remain untapped, and its earning power yet to reach its high. The shrewd investor, possessing a sharp mind and good eyes, will do well to hold on to one or more till the EPS ratio - or the age - reaches its potential before selling it in the open market.

In the accounting arena, we have FRS (Financial Reporting Standards) to adhere to. While in human relationships, we have moral values. But with us living in the age of decadence, what are the chances that someone wouldn't take love as an investment. The 42 years old Singaporean male who is in the news for hiring some teenagers to gouge his ex-lover's eyes out, had it coming. The pretty 30 years old Malaysian divorcee - his ex-lover - apparently after knowing a younger man, decided to spurn the man who, perhaps in desperation, reminded her of how much money he had "invested" in her. Her reply: to treat it as payment for her sex service. But obviously she was no angel herself, having left him for a younger man.

PS: Most of the time, love is just a feeling that substitutes the loneliness we face as a result of the emotional distance between two person.

No comments: