Thursday, September 15, 2005

Thanks For the Memory...

I feel wrecked and in a mess - emotionally and physically. I am feeling the strain from my load of work and studies these days. I found little means to destress and recharge. Maybe I have never know how to. Well, I guess some stress is good for me, as long as I learn how to deal with it. And I know I have to anyhow. The Remedial Training I am starting comes as a blessing in disguise. If time permits, I may throw in a swim, which is becoming more of a luxury, just like my guitar-playing. Well, at least I have time for blogging.

I met someone at my Toastmasters club meeting - a lady, about my age, since she graduated from NUS eight years ago. Cynthia is her name. We work in the same building but never actually met, until Tuesday, that is. She isn't our first guest and is definitely not going to be the last. But somehow her face sticks in my mind. Although hidden behind lens, her captivating eyes lit up in innate pureness, innocence and gentleness. I shared with her my enthusiasm for public speaking and saw the beauty in her listening heart. But I somehow managed to divert my attention to my self-imposed task of entertaining and introducing a guest to our club. At the end of the meeting, before I could say good-bye, she had bolted straight for the door, as if she needed to get home before the stroke of midnight. Before her carriage changes back into pumpkin, her horsemen back into mices and her ballroom dress back into kitchen-wear. She did not leave behind any glass shoe, so I may never see her again. The face remains clear in my mind - complete with the eyes, the smile and the name, Cynthia. A fairy-tale-like ending seems unlikely. I won't hope for more or believe any lesser. But I will always remember that Tuesday and that face. Thanks for the memory, Cynthia.

1 comment:

mrdes said...

Sometime I think, to love is to let go. Just sometime...