Sunday, September 04, 2005

Not A Word From Maya

I am, at the moment, infatuated with this Taiwanese female Hokkien song singer. I have to say this has got nothing to do with the seventh month, although I have a lot to say about the on-going haze. Anyway, I could never have imagined myself falling head over heels in love with Hokkien songs, which in my memories, are considered crude, over-melancholic and obscure. But Maya is different; she does not sound like one of those geitai singers and she definitely don't sprouts obscene jokes to make the Ah pehs chuckle and let their imaginations run wild.

Maya is gifted with an angelic voice, accompanied by great technique, finesse and control. Her vocal is not about power, not about being Mariah Carey of Taiwan (unlike someone who goes by the name of Coco). Hers is all about emotions and expressions. It is like a vocal gymnastic performance ( once again, please be reminded, she is not Mariah), projecting a multi-layered, roller-coaster-type of listening experiences. You just let go and be lifted like a leaf in the wind to some peaceful place far away. The fact is, most of the time, I haven't got the slightest idea what she is crooning about. But there is no need to and that is true mark of a great vocalist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RBT said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a health nutrition blog. It pretty much covers health nutrition related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time ;^)