Sunday, February 24, 2019

The Other Side / You Were Wrong

The Other Side

Stand at a traffic light.
Wait for the whole world
To stop. Then you will
Die. The smoke that rushes
By. You turn invisible
In the drivers' eyes.
As a ghostly green
Man calls out, you get
To the other side.

P.S.: A poem has a revelatory function. That is, it pushes you to see everyday humdrum in a different len. Such that even for something as simple as crossing a road will never be the same again.

You Were Wrong

You were wrong. Like a right
shoe must be worn
on the right foot.

You were wrong. You said you
do not know how
much my love weighs

when you always have
it in your palm.

P.S.: Now this one I am not too proud of: a little too much of Lang Leav, don't you think? One of the first thing I learned, and came to know later I was mistaken, about the difference between prose and poetry is, of course, line-break: the first and second lines read together would pose a surprise twist to the first by itself, and so on. But then, there is prose poetry. "You were wrong. Like a right / shoe must be worn" - my favourite lines. And like I read somewhere before, the poet has only a vague idea of the ending in the process of writing. So I will not be too hard / on myself.

No comments: