Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Random Update

About running. Fear is good actually, against convention. Nowadays, the fear of not completing a 10 km run is gone, which has partly resulted in a slower finishing time. But it's okay by me, at least my body is now more of an efficient machine: less energy used for longer distance run.

About reading. Not much really, just Derek Walcott's "White Egrets" (sometimes feel like kicking myself for not reading his poems earlier; then again, I might not have understood them.) and bits of Wendy Cope's "Family Values" (more down-to-earth flowing verse).

About movies. After savouring "A Separation", "A Simple Life" and "The Flowers of War", I think the Best Foreign Language Film Academy Award must surely be a close fight between the first two. Not to say that "The Flowers of War" is really bad, considering that it somehow manages to walk the thin line between a commercial and artistic film.

About music. I've been listening to Beethoven's Piano Concertos No. 1 and 5 "Emperor" - both truly magical. I think classical music is pure and noble music (beyond culture, pulp or language), and luxury food for the soul, really. I don't know if the impulse to listen to classical music is related to my love for poetry, but both requires, hence at the same time, enhances virtues of calm and patience. They seemingly slow down time to allow me to focus on the small detailed bits of every cadence, or sound or meaning of words in the case of poetry. Life feels richer these ways.

No comments: