Sunday, October 07, 2007

Takuji Ichikawa's Be With You

I must be a sentimental twit I guess: one in love with a hyper-sentimental novel entitled "Be With You" (published in Japan as Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu - I'm. Coming to see you now - in 2003).

Maybe I was infatuated with the movie version back then, but I find no real reason for the tears to drop freely, except that the novel - the author claims it to be autobiographical - has touched me with its unconditional love that normal people like you and me wouldn't have experienced. You see, Takumi in the novel, has plenty of problems: he can't take a car, a bus, not even a lift! Yet, his wife chooses to be with him. And of course, the notion of falling in love with the same person again as if for the first time appealed to me.

Maybe it's true, that I do have a soft spot for romance after all...

It's time.
I have to go.
At the station by the lake, he's waiting for me, I'm sure.
With my wonderful future.
Wait for me, will you, my boys?
Now, I'm coming to be with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a friend told me about the book. i'm gonna read it when i can get my hand on it.