Sunday, March 18, 2007

Single Picky Girl

I like to firstly come clean on something: No, I did not pick up Janice Wong's collection of columns from the library because I can't stop ogling Janice in that angelic-white suit, or her flattering cleavage in the smaller photo conspicuous above the synopsis.

Our rendezvous, er, I mean, my admiration for her columns started at the Life! section of The Strait Times. Anyway, there was also Richard Lim - and what a threesome we would make! To think, I once dreamed of having my own column in any local newspaper. So picking up the Single Picky Girl (SPG) was a nostalgic journey more than anything.

Janice was the goddess of dates, of the female's mind, of the EQ (Eligibility Quotient), and of love, of course. Everything I knew about the opposite sex came from her then. Okay, that is an overstatement.

Janice being my soulmate, had a lot of similarity in thoughts with me way back. We both believed love is all about timing - you're a lucky bastard, if you married your first love. I still do. Love is not needed to complete me, or her; it only makes me want to be a better man, or a woman in her case. And sex is never therapeutic after a break-up, or for loneliness. Not that I know much about that...Plus I too despised mind games.

Our attitude towards love can be summaried in the following words:

"Some people are settling down, some people are settling for second best and some people refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies"

- from Sex and the City

"Butterflies" refers to the feeling in your stomach when you are nervous and hopeful all at once

- Janice.

I am just being discerning, not picky, you know.

About her career, I thought it unusual for someone with a economic background to write such personal stuff. Similarly, I find it ill-fitting for me, with an accounting background to blog about this - not that blogging is much of a career. But at least I don't have to deal with my STD like her. Excuse me, I mean our Small Talk Disorder. And, back on love, I dare swear that it is much easier for me to dump a girl - for they usually dump me first, or I would just stop calling them. Hmm...I wonder whether Janice is right about having a car to improve my EQ...

Now, you would have guessed right if you think I would name my column as "Single Picky Man"

7 comments:

JerL said...

I would love to read your SPM column. Or you could have an SPG column too -- "Single Picky Guy". You can wear an innocent white top and have your cleavage in the photo too.

mrdes said...

Thanks! You're too kind. I like your suggestion about SPG - why I never thought of it. As for the cleavage, it is kind of difficult for me to imagine...heehee

Whiskoffee said...

She rocks! SPG is one of my favorite books. =)

I was so sad that I finished the book so quickly.

Whiskoffee said...

Wait a minute... Did you say Life section?

On which day(s) does her columns appear?

mrdes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mrdes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mrdes said...

Whiskoffee: Yes, if my fuzzy mind serves my well, for it was a few years back...