Monday, February 19, 2007

For the First Time

This CNY poses a lot of "first time" for me...

1) First time that I received my exam result via email during CNY...And I fared as predicted, without surprises: passing one paper, failing two. My problem is not new, being unable to apply theories to scenario-type questions, I can't expand on my point. My friend, ray would kindly inform me at this point that I "can't bullshit" for my life. My evening class lecturer from China - quite pretty but very married to a Singaporean - had professed years back that I would have difficulties at this later stage for similar reason. That was partly when I started writing short fictions for my workplace's intranet, explaining management theories. Life or studies in my case, is a journey, not a destination.

2) First time that I saw my mum gambling in "three stick"(loosely translated from Hokkien), a form of card game.When I was younger, she used to stop us kids and dad alike from playing. Almost teary, she would explain that as a child, a lot of my grandfather's hard earned money was lost to gambling, even though it is common for my relatives to do so during CNY. Old age changes people, I guess. Dad, who has a gambler's streak, was most pleased, as even his son-in-laws joined in the fun.

3) First time that most relatives don't give me angpow....which I think is a good sign? The revenue loss is irrelevant, it is the recognition that counts.

4) First time in recent memories, I observed that jeigong and grandma are healthier physically and mentally sharper. For that, I'm glad.

5) First time my grandma had been so straight to the heart with her question: So do you have a girlfriend? I had a great laugh, before replying with a polite smile, looking straight into my grandma's twinkling eyes.

6) First time that I watched so many movies on cable TV that I lost count.

7) First time that a fellow blogger dedicated a post to my blog. What joy! What pleasure! I'm flattered, to say the least. I guess there is a attention-seeking streak in me after all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year mrdes!

JerL said...

You do have an attention-seeking streak. lolx. But it is a good sign. You're welcome.