Tuesday, September 19, 2006

一 个 人 的 生 活

I have been busy doing the things I enjoy, like jogging, visiting the bookshop, CD Shop, museum, library and cinema - all alone. And the highlights of these exploits in my ordinary life are as listed:

1) Saturday, 8 .30 am: Have a nice, cooling jog as the sun proved to be merciful with its benign ray. Destination: Bukit Batok Nature Park. After running there in a rather snail-like pace, the rows of steep cement stairs and dirt tracks were conquered to reach the top, where a World War II monument laid in the form of a huge black marble tablet. Prisoners-of-war used to reside in a hut there; gravestones were also elected for the dead - though all these were destroyed after the war. I could still feel my stomach muscle, hip and thigh tightening today.

2) I just discovered the MPH at the basement of City Hall shopping mall. Such pleasure: the discovery, but baffling are the arrangement and selection of books. Paulo Coelho has just published his new work: a collection of short stories.

3) 渡辺雅二 who is one of my favourite New Age pianist with his unique style of oriential music, has come out with his latest album 雅 Miyabi. Now, no mercy was shown here with my pocket at THAT CD shop; no, this has nothing to do with the pretty salesgirl.

4) As planned, a visit to the Asian Civilisation Museum at Empress place was completed on a breezy, drizzling Sunday afternoon. The Noh masks, the Noh play's costumes - an absolute eye-opener; more on this later.

5) I picked up my new read, Blindness by Jose Saramago and like it none too soon.

6) Oh my, oh my, The Banquet, a Zhang Ziyi vehicle used to woo the west, falls flat on its face with its shallowness, and along the way, downgraded the sassy girl to a "flower vase"* I blame the directer, the art direction and the oh-so-modern script.

You know what? I am actually one bloody lucky chap...

*a cardboard actress in a Chinese movie who is casted more for her beauty than acting skill.

1 comment:

(T) (H) (B) said...

If the ticket sells with her face no one cares..