Sunday, June 18, 2006

Fly Away

Fly Away

"When will you be home?" she asks
as we watch the planes take off
We both know we have no clear answer
to where my dreams may lead
She's watched me as I crawled and stumbled
As a child, she was my world
And now to let me go, I know she bleeds
and yet she says to me

You can fly so high
Keep your gaze upon the sky
I'll be prayin every step along the way
Even though it breaks my heart to know we'll be so far apart
I love you too much to make you stay
Baby fly away
Autumn leaves fell into spring time and SIlver-painted hair
Daddy called one evening saying "We need you. Please come back"
When I saw her laying in her bed Fragile as a child
Pale just like an angel taking flight
I held her as I cried
You can fly so high
Keep your gaze upon the sky
I'll be prayin every step along the way
Even though it breaks my heart to know we'll be so far apart
I love you too much to make you stay
Baby fly away
ohh... I love you too much to make you stay
Baby fly away
Music and Lyrics by Corrinne May
Hi to all,
I like to introduce one of my current favourite song, "FLY AWAY", by local Jazz singer/songwriter Corrinne May Ying Foo. This song, like most of the songs in her debut album of the same title, is soothing without being over sentimental. Although she is categorised as a Jazz singer, her songs are actually radio friendly. "FLY AWAY" stands out with its simple, lullaby-like tune. But what I really like is the lyrics, which come across as sincere and poetic at the same time. I like the way the theme of letting go of loved ones is portrayed in to life situations; when she has to leave her mother to go overseas for studies and when she has to let her mother go at her death bed. At times, I enjoy just reading the touching lyrics without Corrinne's husky, comforting vocal.
Desxxxx
(Year 2002)
...The significance of this song review is that, it is the first one that I ever wrote. And it sits proudly on a desk in my room complete with a photo of Corrinne and the lyrics...
Although it has been some years now, I still remember that day like it was yesterday. Purely on a friend's recommendation, I went hunting for a CD by this Jazz singer, and the only thing I had was a name.

The Music Junction at Plaza Singapura had its Jazz collection just beside the New Age CDs which I thought I was more familiar with, but I was by no means an ardent listener. And it was an inconspicuously light purple cover that had the name "Corrinne May" accompanied by the title "Fly Away" in pale white print. Another singer squeezed by a record company for being local? That was the initial sentiment, judging by the plain cover design. "Well, since I am already here, might as well listen to it...” I thought.

The title track came on: husky, affecting vocal, light touches of the piano in harmony. With the gigantic headphones, the world turned silent or was it my heart. Gradually, you let yourselves go into that world: darkness with a little lost girl singing of sadness and hope, tugging at your heartstring. Baby fly away...It took me a while to come to my mind, before going on to the next track, "Same side of the moon" , which was evocative with acoustic guitar. An image flashed by, of a girl sitting on a window seat in some foreign country, looking at the moon through an opened window and missing her loved ones at home.

A great album always comprises of a resonant track at the end. Skipping to the last track, "Journey" told of doubts in life and faith in your loved ones; we all need to go home at the end of an arduous journey for comfort and love. Years later, I was to hear that same song with a scene in some experimental drama series at Central; that scene was totally captivating as a result.

Over the years, the album seems to gradually grow in strength. "Something about you" is a catchy, light-hearted number. "Walk away" is totally heartbreaking with a scarcely spoken subject of abuse in a relationship. "All that I need" becomes a love song of the soft-rock genre, which I have a soft spot for.

No comments: