Monday, May 29, 2006

My Cousin's Wedding

The family went for my cousin's wedding dinner. My niece turned up in her pink, evening gown with little butterflies complete with a furry, shiny white crown. She was a heart-melting cutie-pie cum little princess as she played "cooking", serving me bricks and dominoes as food even before going for the dinner proper.

The dinner was fine, with plenty of wisecracks from my cousins and uncles, though no-one was drunk or all tangled with the waitresses or anything. One cousin, the bride's younger brother, had his girlfriend with him. They were the centre of envy - being the only unmarried couple with us - so inevitably the question of when is theirs arises. Thus the game of seniority began as the penance of marriage made its round till it hit me, even though I had been pretty silent and I aren't by any mean the oldest unmarried cousin; my sis holds that honour though she was with another table. However, like the red wine and VSOP that evening, topics from marriage, girlfriends to soccer vanished from the table the minute they flowed in. That was fine by me. And to top off the day, I saw my grandma, all strong and glowing.

No comments: