Sunday, April 16, 2006

Just Another Saturday

I slept pretty early for a Friday, I thought, and woke up to a refreshing frame of mind. Half-heartedly, I got ready for my 9.30 am class. Don't know what got into my head when I enrolled for the Saturday morning slot, thinking that I might as well spend my time out of bed. But the Roti Prata at Aljunied Road is fast becoming another luring factor without doubt.

The sun was a ferocious, blinding glare as I stepped out of the MRT station, baggage of notes, books over my shoulder and on my arm. They are sure heavy, and I am not talking about the weight. Life seemed overburdened for a moment. The local Indian-style breakfast complete with milk tea was a revelation excluding a surprise element.

Class was as usual, nothing too inspiring. Except that the lecturer has a grievous balding problem, so much so my whining about my ordeal seems like a storm in a teacup. How is that for inspiring? And the class also ended early.

I hit the library then. Might as well clock in some honest work, which wasn't the case for the past few days, or weeks even. And there was the SYT* at the table I was sharing with. Low revealing neckline, white virginal skin, long hair pushed behind the left ear embellished with a tiny gold cross. I couldn't take my eyes off her for a moment. But I know I had made my choice, and rather, life had made it. I can't help feeling a little guilty though, thinking of what if - what if I am younger, a charmer, or even a hunk. Yeah, what if...not that I am any less satisfied about myself. Can't say I am totally comfortable though.

She finally left me at about 5 plus, probably to see her sweetheart. I cross my heart, there wasn't any pleading of "Please don't go!”. Neither did I create any unpleasant scene. The departure was almost too calm. We just let things remained as they were. In the quiet amid the rustling of notes and the train rumbling just outside the windows, I did not drop a tear - not even one. Imagination works like a magic spell. A potion was put to task, only to mend a lonely heart.

Hunger took over, but I let my feet took me to Central library an hour or so later. Hoping for another encounter? - Far from it. A book title has taken my fancy, and the journey is short. I explored the new study lounge too. Pretty slick, I thought. And I am not talking about the babes, mind you. Even at 5th storey, the night streets with the light of the neighbouring buildings cast a cosmopolitan ambience through the wide windows.

I lost a minor battle with my stomach and wolfed down a plate of spaghetti at Bugis Parco. Then, it was home sweet home. Miss Singapore Universe pageant was on TVmobile. Tormenting? - No, haunted sounds more appropriate. And I didn't even see the first telecast. Even the young couple smooching in front looked more interesting. But I was more concerned where the bus driver was watching.

*SYT: Sweet Young Thing

No comments: