Sunday, January 22, 2006

Musing About Pets and Plants

I have something on my mind which I can't seem to resolve. I had consulted books and friends to no valid. Since I have found myself sitting in front of a senseless, silly movie starring Andy Lau (no offence here to him personally), I may as well muse about it.

I believe in becoming a better person as my life goes by, aging like wine. To wit, in my context, there is only one way to go as a person in term of personal development - that is up - tracing a learning curve. But is there an exception to this? - That is in the event that certain major stage of development in one's life is somehow missed out. And more importantly, are there existing substitutes bridging the resulting gap, so that I could continue on my journey? So what am I actually ranting about here you may ask. Well, more specifically, I am talking about being single; or rather its suspected downside. Think about it, what can be more beneficial to a person to take care of and be responsible for another fellow human being, day in and day out for life? Someone once suggested for me to grow some plants or flowers, or even rear a pet. But to be honest, I am not convinced.

Talking about rearing a pet, my third elder sis (the still single one) and I had two chicks when we were little. Those cute, yellow fur balls were a joy as we would watch them chirping and playing all day long in a big cardboard box even though they can't learn any tricks. I remember when they had grown quite big, we returned home from school to find them missing. Apparently, my mum had slaughtered them for our dinner, prompting my sis to burst into tears. I was all calm and ever willing to please my mum as we were pretty poor financially then. Hmm…I wonder what kind of psychological effect it has on us...

No comments: