Monday, August 29, 2005

The Toddlers' Sick Bay

I wondered how I got myself into this, how our flat became a toddlers' sick bay - not with two or three but with four toddlers, including me. Well, I almost felt like one - weak, doing nothing and I could cry if that was the only way to express the numbing pain in my head and heart. But it would be nothing close to my niece's piercing cry. You know how you love those adorable, little princesses, and how their cries could puncture the hardest of hearts and bring a full-grown man to his knees. My niece's cry of pain and fear after she puked, shattered my calm and ate up my judgement. I could do nothing, only a strong woman like my sister would make it. Moreover, I had my headache, having just recovered from a flu. But, no excuse - I could do nothing. The same applied to my two beloved, yet feverish older nephews, roaming around in pain and trying to get the attention of their mother. No, the father won't do in such circumstances. You felt kind of jealous though. The mother always has to be the one, especially if she is a full-time homemaker like my sister.

Their evening departure was to be followed by a visit to the doctor. And no doubt, my sister's day would end with patronising the kids to bed, which is no easy feat, mind you. It does take a lot to be a homemaker.

So here I was in my room, body and mind refusing to rest, watching a re-run of "Friends" ( my perspective of it remains; funny but mindless) and typing away, typing every seconds of my life away...

No comments: