Thursday, February 22, 2007

Philosophical Bullshit

My colleague is on leave, leaving some unfinished work behind, which prompted HY, the manager to proclaim me "Superman". How irony I find that. It feels more like I'm a victim than a superhero. However, I tell myself to keep two things in mind:

1) Don't be judgemental of others
2) Don't try to change people. Change yourselves, change your expectations. It's less painful that way.

And I will refrain from bitching about office. I...will...not...bitch...about...office. Pretty thoughts...pretty thoughts. So I thought I might as well fill up this post with philosophical bullshit or reframing of mind (Adam Khoo said so), whatever you like to call it...

Now, humans err and are not perfect, we all know that. But on a deeper level, what does that mean? As it is in our genes to err, or to be different from one another? That is why I often find that what is right or wrong, is only a matter of perspective, demonstrating our differences. Thus, we often disagree with others, thinking that they are wrong, only because they hold a different view from us.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning the actions of the burglar, robber or rapist. There is still some unacceptable social behaviour by any standard. The fact is, our imperfections, our differences, all these are vital to the survival of our species. Imagine a world, where all humans are perfect, physically, mentally, genetically. We would all be similar in every sense to each other. That would spell the end of us, as we would have to copulate with someone like our twin sister and brother, only worst, producing inferior offspring.

That is why as I always said, we have to celebrate difference, not condone it. By focusing on the difference, you open your heart to understand other's intention. From which, you will most probably find the difference to bridge, which in turn, holds the key to a solution.

It is also irony, how humans are more patient and sympathetic with a physically deformed or imperfect person. We even send our condolences to a sick man, or invite him into the house to keep warm. Yet, all these seem to melt away in the face of someone who is flawed in character, or mental ability. Perhaps, we feel deceived by imperfections we cannot see with naked eyes. Or perhaps, we have seen too clearly into the imperfections, which only mirror our own, resulting in frustrations.

Okay, seriously, I do believe to a large extent, the things I have preached. Just that, I'm only human...

1 comment:

(T) (H) (B) said...

Makes sense.